Laser Dentistry: An Innovative Tool in Modern Dental Practice
Ever heard about laser dentistry? If not, now is the time to learn. Laser dentistry is an FDA- approved dental procedure used widely in dentistry, including periodontal care, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry.
At Aqua Dental, we have been using laser dentistry to deliver satisfactory outcomes among patients in Austin, Texas. Please schedule an appointment today if you want to join our long list of beneficiaries.
What is Laser Dentistry?
Since its introduction in the 1960s, no one knew lasers would revolutionize the medical field, as is the case today. What was once considered a scientific weapon has now become commonplace in many industries, including dentistry.
There are two types of lasers:
- Soft tissue lasers use a wavelength of light easily absorbed by soft tissues, such as your gums. Dentists use these lasers to seal nerves and blood vessels—that’s why you don’t feel pain or bleed much during laser treatment.
- Hard tissue lasers can be absorbed by hard tissues like your teeth or jawbone, hence suitable for procedures like cavity treatment.
Application of Lasers in Dentistry
Dr. Chitra Pradeep uses a laser that emits light energy in a narrow, concentrated beam during laser treatment. This light produces enough heat to shape or cut the body tissue. Laser dentistry has numerous uses in dentistry, including:
- Treating gum disease: Dentists use lasers to disinfect diseased tissue for patients with gum disease. We use a diode laser that resembles a pen to reshape or remove the infected tissues.
- Teeth whitening: Once a bleaching agent has been applied to the teeth, the dentist may use a laser to activate the bleaching agent for faster results.
- Tongue tie treatment: Lasers separate the frenulum from the tongue. This procedure is painless and takes about 10 minutes.
- Crown lengthening procedure: Dentists use lasers to reshape and remove your gums and jawbone during gummy smile treatment.
- Tooth filling: We can use lasers to reshape your teeth before filling them with composite resin.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Dentists can now treat your diseased oral structures without using a drill. The accuracy of lasers during treatment yields numerous advantages, including:
- Minimal bleeding
- Reduced pain
- Faster healing
- Leaves healthy tissue intact
- Minimizes chances of infection
We are sure you still have more questions about laser dentistry. Don’t hesitate to contact Aqua Dental by dialing (512) 643-6571 to get all your questions answered. Better yet, you can chat face-to-face with Dr. Chitra Pradeep about laser dentistry during your upcoming dental exam.